I Love Tea Cups

I Love Tea Cups

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Just One Amaryllis Plant


Hi Everyone,
I learn a new lesson about gardening almost everyday.  First of all, I'm so proud of my Christmas Amaryllis blooming in my garden. I planted this bulb maybe four years ago and this year it bloomed for the very first time. WOW!!!


Second lesson.  I did some research about this stubborn plant and read that the Amaryllis belladonna lily is in fact a 'Naked Lady'  (bulbs are poisonous) Zone 4-24. Note to self~ Lift and divide clumps infrequently; may not bloom for several years if disturbed at wrong time.
What is amazing I have grown Naked Lady bulbs for years. Go figure.


Common name amaryllis is Hippeastrum


On Monday May 30, 2011 both blooms were open.  I took the photos and was going out today and recapture more of this fabulous plant and take photos of the last bloom to open.  But, instead the sky opened up with rain and another hail storm.  Usually the weather this time of year is in the 80's.  Not this year.








This is my dream garden.  My dear friend has a beautiful garden and this is the Amaryllis bed I would love to have.  With Just One Amaryllis Plant it might take awhile. LOL.


I love to garden. Everyday is a new day in the garden. Inspiration galore!!!

 Thank you so much for visiting My Cozy Corner
I'm joining
The Little Round Table for This Week in My Garden
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday
All Things Heart and Home for All Things Inspired
Unskinny Boppydreams for Garden Party Wednesday
and
Fishtail Cottage for Cottage Flora Thursdays
xo
Betty









10 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! You SHOULD be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love surprises? That's a long wait, but oh so worth it!

    Thanks for joining the garden party,
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this, they scream high drama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew those plants are something else. They are show stoppers, for sure.
    Thanks so much for linking up over at The Garden Party once again! I appreciate you showing us this lovely flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! It is too cold here in Nebraska to plant amaryllis outdoors, so we have to enjoy them as "houseplants." I'm amazed at how your friend's amaryllis have multiplied. This is amazing!

    Visiting you from Fishtail Cottage. Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun to see you get to grow these outdoors! Here, it's only inside that these will survive! Thanks for sharing today at Cottage Flora Thursdays! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betty, that's gorgeous. The colors are so pretty, and you've captured those blooms beautifully with your camera. I think those 2 blooms were worth waiting on for a few years! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are absolutely beautiful. I love that red!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are Hippeastrum hybrid, aka. giant Amarylis and they come from South America. Naked Ladies are Amaryllis belladonna, a plant originating in South Africa. They are both toxic.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so delighted that you have visited my blog...
Thanks for your comments as I enjoy reading them.
Betty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...