I Love Tea Cups

I Love Tea Cups

Monday, December 15, 2014

Christmas Card Tradition


Hello everyone, I hope you had an eventful weekend. I've been so busy cross stitching a new kneeler for the dedication yesterday, I haven't posted in awhile...Yesterday after church sweetheart and I attended our granddaughter's piano recital in the late afternoon, singing Christmas carols and enjoying some very talented young people. After the recital we took our daughter out to dinner and some quality time with our only daughter. 
I have finished decorating the tree and mantel. I have a few table tops decorated and the kitchen is finished. Last week I finished writing my Christmas cards and I wanted to share some of the history of the Christmas Card with you all. I love sending Christmas Cards. I know stamps are expensive, but a card and a stamp is a small price to pay to give a small gift to someone I haven't connected with all year. 
I bought a box of 32 cards at Walmart for $2.97 The box has several different cards and...I love the variety.
How did it all begin? 
The History of the Christmas Card
A relatively recent phenomenon, the sending of commercially printed Christmas cards originated in London in 1843. (Now I know why I send cards-being English you know)
Previously, people had exchanged handwritten festive greetings. First in person, then via post. 
John Calcott Horsley, a respected illustrator of the day, was commissioned by Sir Henry Cole, a wealthy British businessman. Cole wanted a card he could proudly send to friends and professional acquaintances to wish them a "merry Christmas".
The first Christmas card's inscription read:"merry Christmas and a happy new year to you". Merry was then a spiritual word meaning "blessed" as in "merry old England".
Early British cards rarely showed winter or religious themes, instead favoring flowers, fairies and other fanciful designs that reminded the recipient of the approach of spring, Humorous and sentimental images of children and animals were popular. as were increasingly elaborate shapes, decorations. and materials.
From the beginning,Christmas cards have been avidly collected, Queen Mary amassed a large collection that is now housed in The British Museum. 
THE COLE HORSLEY CARD
Of the original one thousand cards produced for Henry Cole, twelve exist today in private collections; in December 2005, one of these designs was auctioned for nearly £9000.
Wow!!! The Christmas Card has come along way baby. LOL.
Thanks for visiting and I hope you have enjoyed my little history lesson. I will be back soon with some Christmas photos of
 "My Cozy Corner"
Joyously,
Betty
Linking to:
Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Mosaic Monday at Lavender Cottage
Tweak it Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thur Life

1 comment:

  1. I did enjoy the history of sending Christmas cards. I've been reading blogs that say they're only doing email or ecard greetings because of the price of stamps. I make my own cards and recently joined a FB group that exchanges them and the cost of a stamp to the US from Canada is $1.20, multiplied by 35 or so and yes this is expensive in some regards. However, the joy of sending my crafted cards and receiving as many back far outweighs the cost.
    You've proven that purchasing cards can be inexpensive so let's hope those who say they like to receive cards in the mail will keep the tradition alive and send some themselves for others to take pleasure in receiving.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Betty.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so delighted that you have visited my blog...
Thanks for your comments as I enjoy reading them.
Betty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...