I Love Tea Cups

I Love Tea Cups

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Hello Autumn!


Hello everyone, 
Last week I shared my produce stand GO HERE I had some pears I received from a friend and I used them to make this delicious Pear Chutney. If you happen to have a pear tree or have come into more pears than you know what to do with, pear chutney is your solution. 
Even people who never thought of putting up anything at all, or just once made a few jars of strawberry jam, might be lured by pear chutney. It makes a great holiday gift. You can stir it while on the phone with a friend, and you don't have to worry about setting points.
PEAR CHUTNEY
 is foolproof and friendly. 
Printable Recipe HERE
PEAR CHUTNEY
Sterilize eight 8-ounce jars 
(If you're not sure how to sterilize jars,
 My procedure is under HOT WATER BATH)
Cook 3 pounds firm-ripe pears, cored (but not peeled) and chopped, 2 big cloves of garlic, minced, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons hot paprika (or cayenne to taste). 2 teaspoons ground coriander (use whole coriander seed and crush them yourself), I cup vinegar or lime juice or a  combination of both, 1 1/2 cups raisins and 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger (or 1 tablespoons ground dried). When the pears are tender, stir in 1 cup brown sugar. If the chutney seems too thick, add about 1/2 cup water. Then cook it down for around 10 minutes-until it is sludgy but not liquidy.  Put it in the sterilized jars, fill the sterilized jars to within 1/4 inch of the tops, seal the jars, and process them for 10 minutes. (using HOT WATER BATH) instructions. Keep the jars for a few months before opening. 
Suggestions for uses of  Pear Chutney
My favorite is to serve it as an accompaniment to pork roast, pork chops, chicken, turkey and lamb.
How about a ham sandwich with havarti cheese, sliced apple and the chutney?
I love making pear chutney and my whole family loves it too. When I serve it at the table sweetheart will take a spoonful of it and just savor it alone in his mouth. He just loves it.
Because I only make six jars I put it in the refrigerator and we have it gone in about three months. 
A mosaic to pin


Thanks for visiting today and I hope to see you soon.
Joyously,
Betty
Linking to:
A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday
Katherine's Corner for Thursday Favorite Thing 
No Minimalist Here for Show Your Style Thursday

1 comment:

  1. Pear chutney sounds wonderful! Your pictures are really beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so delighted that you have visited my blog...
Thanks for your comments as I enjoy reading them.
Betty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...