I Love Tea Cups

I Love Tea Cups

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

How to Decorate a Tree

Hello everyone,
After 54 years decorating a tree I had an aha moment. I've struggled with decorating our Christmas tree forever. For years we had fresh trees and then in 1990 I bought my first artificial tree. They were so expensive then. We started out with a 7 foot tree with a theme. I gave my old vintage ornaments to my daughter and started to collect angels for the new tree. Over the past 24 years I've purchased other artificial trees which were pre lit, but last year after buying extra strings of lights for years for the old pre lit tree I finally bought a new pre lit Christmas tree. HERE. Last Saturday I opened the Christmas tree box and had the tree standing ready to decorate in 30 minutes. Bingo the lights were on and shining brightly.
 Now for some suggestions on
"How to Decorate the Tree"

Stringing Lights
*100 lights for every foot of tree, use more if your tree is fuller than average. Give the tree more sparkle and use 150 lights per foot.
*Test light strands before stringing. White lights create a bright backdrop and draw attention to ornaments. Mixed colors create a festive tree.
* Create depth by lining tree branches with lights instead of draping them on the tree. Start at the base and work up. Weave lights along larger branches.
Wrapping Garland
My garland dilemma. This was my aha moment: The garland was always the last thing I put on my tree. But this year I followed these simple directions on how to decorate the tree and the Job or Joy went quickly.
*Place garland on the tree after the lights, but before the ornaments.  Start from the top, and work down and around the tree in circles.
*Garland can be strings of tinsel, beads, banners, bells, ribbon or natural materials such as strung popcorn, pinecones or cranberries.
*Let beaded garland droop from branch to branch creating a swag look...I used beads and I love the swag look.
*For a wintery twist, layer glass icicles and faux snow on branches.
Hanging Ornaments
*Hang ornaments at the ends of branches and inside the tree to give it depth.
*In addition to traditional ornaments, cars lanterns, ribbons, frames and bell are also unique decorating ideas. Natural elements such as dried flowers, nests, feathers and pinecones also add an inspired touch.

*Very the sizes and shapes of ornaments as you hang them. Start with the largest-layering them evenly throughout the tree, then continue on with increasingly smaller ornaments.


*Add filler ornaments by placing solid colors and basic shapes at the of the tree and work down in a zig-zag pattern.
*Place the tree topper after all ornaments have been hung. Traditional toppers include stars and angels, but consider unexpected toppers such as a cluster of themed ornaments, a toy, a santa hat or a largest statement piece.



*Drape a tree skirt around the tree stand for a final, finished look.
I have a few more ornaments to hang on the tree. What a joy to have a Christmas tree all decked out the first week of December.
Hope you are making progress with decorating your tree and I hope this tutorial will help you have a joyous time decorating the tree.

TIP: Ornaments aren't just for trees-display them in vessels for a festive moment in any room.
TIP: Spread the holiday cheer by placing an additional tree in the den, family room or kitchen.
Thanks for visiting today
Joyously,
Betty
Linking to:
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday   

2 comments:

  1. Well that is just beautiful!! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG....I too went from the fresh trees to the very expensive one in 1990! Can you believe I still have that tree, I haven't changes it and it's looking perfect. I take so much care of things.
    Your ornies are gorgeous and it's my kind, I love the mercury glass ones. You've made a BEAUTIFUL tree!
    Have a great week ahead.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete

I'm so delighted that you have visited my blog...
Thanks for your comments as I enjoy reading them.
Betty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...