I Love Tea Cups

I Love Tea Cups

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tablescape # 18


Tea and UNO
Hello Everyone!
While on vacation with my Granddaughters last May. They taught me how to play UNO. Oh my goodness did we laugh and now it's a joke that Grandma didn't know what UNO meant.  LOL!!!
So this afternoon I invited them over for Tea and UNO
We played two rounds in an hour and a half.
What a Hoot...


Did you know...
...UNO was first sold in a barber shop in Ohio in 1971?
...shouting "UNO" means you only have one card left in more than 80 countries?...more than half a billion UNO cards are now printed every year?
Forty years on, UNO continues to be the standard for family play and America's #1 card game* looks forward to the next 40 years.
I found this 40th Anniversary Edition and just had to buy it.


I set the tea table by the dining room window because it's a lovely day with the sun shining through the windows. And,  I have my first Camellia bloom that hasn't completely opened yet, but I wanted to put some flowers on the table for interest and this lonely bloom is the only flower I could find in my entire garden.

I WANT SPRING TO COME


Since the girls were coming over after school I thought I would make a treat for us.
I found this recipe in Tea Time January/February 2008

ANGELIC BLACK CHERRY TRIFLE

Well, Let's see. We have two angels, tea and UNO

to make:
1. (.3-ounce) package black cherry gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 prepared (10-inch) angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 (20-ounce) can cherry pie filling
1 (8-ounce) container nonfat whipped topping
1/2 cup toasted almonds
1/4 cup granola
1. In a medium bowl, dissolve gelatin in water; divide evenly between small trifle dishes; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Evenly divide cubed angel food cake over the layers of chilled gelatin.  Top with whipped topping, cherry pie filling, toasted almonds, and granola.  Serve immediately.
Can be made with sugar-free ingredients.

YUM!!!!!




I used my vintage Serva-Snack Set that I received as a Wedding gift.  I have 6 sets and I have used them for 50 years. They were produced at Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation. 




Beth (9) and Lexi (10)
We are ready to have tea and play a couple of games of UNO just for fun.

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to My Cozy Corner.
I'm joining
Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday
Coloradolady for Vintage Thingies Thursday
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Southern in My Heart for Inspiration Friday
Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday
Bargain Hunting with Laurie for A Few of My Favorite Things Saturday
Please link back to these wonderful parties.
xo
Betty
Please join me on Sunday January 23rd
for
Cupcake Sunday

22 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. This summer all the grands will be old enough to play UNO. I have to get them off the Wii first but they always enjoy playing games with grandma even though I don't let them cheat to win. It's got to be fair. They have to learn how to win and how to lose and on these electronic games they win too easily. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, how sweet are your grands having that delicious yummy goodness in those pretty glasses! I love to play UNO, but I haven't played it in some time. That was always a fun game, though.

    Looks like fun was had by all. How could it not be fun with yumminess like that?

    Such a sweet post...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful post. My grandchildren love to play uno. I smiled when I saw your server set. I have that same one! I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Hugs, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Girls!!! and I LOVE UNO, we used to play with SO MANY FAMILY MEMBERS that we needed 2 decks... I had one uncle that was NOT A GOOD LOOSER and he would sit there grumbling because the game would be going back and forth around him and NEVER get over to him before ENDING(hehehe). We had SUCH FUN!!!Love your dessert, I'm definitely trying it, YUMMY!!! Thank you for sharing, I ALSO LOVED the vintage sets you have, WOW they are wonderful!!!
    Warm Winter Hugs to you, "Oh and "UNO"!!!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun to play UNO with your grandchildren! I know they love to come to your house and enjoy the special treats and attention you give them! I'm jealous of your camellia! I love them, but they don't grow well here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Uno. I highly recomment Uno Attack. It is hilarious!

    Your trifle looks delicious. What a fun grandma you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I Love the snack set. What fun!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the servaset
    Thanks for sharing.
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great history on the Uno game, it really is so much fun. The dish sets are wonderful. I had some too as a wedding gift. Great party setting.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun party. That trifle looks delicious and so prettily served in the margarita glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The trifle looks delicious. We love playing UNO as well -- did not realize that it was that "new" of a game!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I inherited luncheon plates like that from my grandmother (the only thing I got) and it had $1.99 on the box. I had to laugh.

    What a fun day and such a fun game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Betty! Oh, what a sweet treat for those little cuties! You sat a lovely table and your trifle sounds delish!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sweet date with your granddaughters! I love your vintage Serva Set- so cool! We love playing Uno at our house. My husband used to play every Sunday after church with some of his friends. They'd play Uno and smoke cigars! I like Tea and Uno much better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovin' your snack set Betty! Looks like you all had a great time-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uno is one of our family's favorite games. My son [who is nearly 40 yrs in age] STILL loves the game. It's so much fun.

    And to have a wonderful tea time with your grands is priceless.


    A CONVERSATION WITH HUSBAND

    ReplyDelete
  17. the dessert looks delicious and easy to make. I may try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a charming post, just precious! and I've never played UNO ;)

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a good grandma you are! They look like they are enjoying their special time with you. We are so thrilled that our 7 yr. old is now able to play UNO with us as it is one of our all time favorites. Have you ever played Pit? Not everyone has heard of that one but it is hilarious and so much fun! Thanks for linking up to Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like such a great party and I really enjoyed seeing that set.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Betty, what memories you made for those two cuties! That trifle is making my mouth water. Your table looks so pretty, and the girls like they are ready to play grown up for awhile and then start yelling UNO! I know it was a fun afternoon, and I'm so glad you shared it for Favorite Things. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was very good at Uno games and this post brought back good memories.

    Btw, do you want to gain more blog followers? Then come on and join my "Swap Followings" Linky Party. This is an excellent opportunity for every blogger to meet other bloggers, follow them, and be followed in return. How does this work? Just simply "swap your following" which goes like this, "I follow your blog so please follow mine." The requirements are simply include the party button in your post, link up, then follow 2 or more blogs so they can follow you in return. When you decide to join, click http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/01/swap-followings-linky-party-012411.html and this will lead you to our party.

    The link is going to close at 11:59 pm on Friday and will open again on Monday at 5 pm, PST.

    Bring your best virtual smile, be prepared to meet great bloggers, and see you there! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so delighted that you have visited my blog...
Thanks for your comments as I enjoy reading them.
Betty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...