I Love Tea Cups

I Love Tea Cups

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tablescape # 17

Hi Everyone!!

It's a Wintry Afternoon and I was thinking of making some Hot Chocolate and serving it in my Chocolate Pot.

The history of the Chocolate Pot.  My sweetheart and I moved to a very small town a few years after we were married.  I had a small child and didn't know very many people, so I thought I would join a ceramic class and meet some new friends.  In fact, I joined about this same time of the year.  The weather was cold and dreary and I was lonely.  I went to eight classes. One each week.  I wanted to make something special so I decided to make a porcelain Chocolate Pot with blue flowers.  I thought it was "Very French" indeed.... That's interesting, now that I think about it,  I have never taken another ceramic class again. Hum.. I'm going to have to ponder over that one.
Wintry Afternoon Tablescape 


Today I set the table with a four place setting, because the blue dishes belong in our RV and I borrowed them for this Wintry tablescape.

I wanted the tablescape to look wintry blue and snowy white.




I found these cute snowflake coasters at the 99 cent store and I thought they would give the tablescape a wintry look.  The mugs are excellent to serve some Hot Chocolate for the Wintry Afternoon.


I'm going to be on the lookout this year for some wintry dishware to use in my January post next year.








The process of this pot was made it three stages. 
1. Paint the glaze on the porcelain - fire
2. Place the flowers one the pot - fire
3. Paint the gold leaf on the pot - fire (I thought about the gold leaf. I think it was gold paint. I can barely remember the small bottle that was so expensive and I was so very careful not to spill it).
There might have been more things to do, but it's been 45+ years and If anyone does ceramics now I'm sure things have changed a lot and my memory isn't that sharp anymore.  


The blue and white napkins are made of rice paper.  They are very thin and have an English flair to them.


A close-up of the gold leaf (gold paint) detail.  And,  I didn't have to sell any of my jewelry to buy the gold paint.   Of course at that time I didn't have any jewelry. 


When I look at these photographs and can't believe I sat and painted this pot.  It's Amazing. 


The blue flowers were very difficult to apply to the pot. I do remember it took a couple of classes to finish applying the flowers.

The vintage white tablecloth is a square card table size that I found at an estate sale.  I came home and soaked it in linen cleaner and now it's just precious.

Wintry Blues and Snowy Whites are a wonderful combination with Hot Chocolate don't you think so?
I hope you have enjoyed your visit today.
  
I joining a few wonderful parties 
Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday
My Cottage Charm for Treasures and Trinkets Thursday
Coloradolady for Vintage Thingies Thursday
I Love Pretty Little Things for Friday Pretties
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday 
Bargain Hunting with Laurie for A Few of My Favorite Things
The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday

Please link back to the great blog hosts.
xo
Betty  

34 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I have long wanted a chocolate pot. Yours is really gorgeous. You did a wonderful job on it. I also love the whole wintery look of the table. I think blues and whites (especially that shade of blue) are very January~ish.

    And I really like the little snowflake coasters on top of the mugs to keep in the heat. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely tablescape. I can't imagine that you made the chocolate pot. It is just gorgeous and a family treasure now. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty...your chocolate pot is stunning! WOW, you made that in your very first (and only, lol) class. I am so impressed. Your table is gorgeous. I love all the blue :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I'm crazy for your teapot! I want one! Pretty table too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a perfect post for a wintery January, and the blue and white really do represent the season. The chocolate pot is gorgeous....you did a great job...you should do ceramics again...although the Ceramic Shops of back then are few and far between these days. I know of one in my town that is still in business. I haven't been in a very long time, but your post reminds me of how much I enjoyed China Painting. Beautiful, warm and inviting...your blog and Tablescape #17.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty! You have got to be kidding me... you painted that pot??? It is divine!

    There is nothing I love better than a beautiful chocolate pot, and the shape and the flowers on that are perfection. I enjoyed seeing this, but I enjoyed it even more knowing that you painted that chocolate pot. Surely it is destined to be an heirloom to be passed down and loved.

    I'm crazy about blue and white so I enjoyed this whole tablescape, too.

    Happy Tablescape Thursday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Thanks so much for linking up to Treasure and Trinkets Thursday, I'm so glad you did!
    I LOVE your chocolate pot, you did a wonderful job! I would like to take some pottery classes, but I don't have much me time...not with everything that goes on around here! (I homeschool!) :-)
    Hope you have a wonderful day and thanks again for linking up, hope you'll come back next week!
    Hugs
    missy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great day!..I love this pot! And you made it and painted it too,you are AWESOME!!!
    =Love your table scape, blue is one of my favorites.
    =Jo
    =LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. looking at all this chocolate made me hungry,got to go eat something(chocolate of course).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blue and white. My favorite color. I have china painted and think you did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely. You have the most awsome tablescapes! I wish I have the space to store/keep a collection like yours! BTW, I'm having my very first GIVEAWAY. Please stop by and submit an entry when you have time. Good luck. http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously.....what a treasure!!!!!!


    Come on over to my show n tell [link]

    http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com/2011/01/think-of-methink-of-me-fondly.html

    Happy Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohhh I love that chocolate pot! lovely! and so is the table setting! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that chocolate pot and your whole setting - so perfect for Friday Pretties. Will be back and am your newest follower ;) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a treasure you have in that beautiful chocolate pot, all the greater because you made it yourself! Your tablescape is lovely. Bess

    ReplyDelete
  16. How talented you are! I love your chocolate pot. It's wonderful that you still have it.
    Love your tablescape.
    Have a great weekend.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty tablescape Betty, and your chocolate pot is just amazing-love it:@)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your chocolate pot ~ it is just beautiful!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  19. The chocolate pot is gorgeous! I love the shape, very graceful. Your tablescape is perfect!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Betty,

    The pot is fabulous...what a wonderful work..a true work of art. I'm visiting for Friday Pretties. I'd love to have you come over for a visit. ♥

    Have a wonderful day,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your chocolate pot looks like a very expensive heirloom that was passed down to you by a great grandmother. It is so pretty and such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your table scape. Your chocolate pot is adorable. What a great piece to have.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The tablescape is delightful...the chocolate pot is definitely the star. You did such a lovely job on the pot. The gold is called a gold overglaze...applied as the last step in an additional firing. It is still used, and I believe that it does have at least some gold in it...still comes in a tiny bottle that costs a pretty penny...is applied with a dedicated brush. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow you did a beautiful job with that chocolate pot! Shame you didn't take any more ceramic classes *winks* Love the blue and white. Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  25. Betty, I think maybe you should have continued the ceramics classes. That chocolate pot is beautiful! The ceramics that I have (which were made by family members) are all so heavy looking. Your chocolate pot is so delicate looking. I love it! Your entire table is pretty. Those rice paper napkins are lovely, and the snowflake coasters are perfect for this table. Thank you for linking to Favorite Things. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your sweet little pot is just darling! What a wonderful homemade keepsake. You must be so proud of it. I also love those sweet delicate napkins. So pretty.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Chocolate pot is quite lovely! You should take another ceramic class, you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an awesome chocolate pot. I can't believe the detail. I think you need to look into another class. Who knows what you'd create??

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am SO AMAZED at your GORGEOUS Chocolate Pot!!! If you had said it was from a little antique shop in Paris and you had to pawn the family silver to buy it, "I would have believed you"!!! You DO KNOW it has stolen the post! Your table is beautiful BUT your "Chocolate Pot is a Masterpiece"!!!
    Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very beautiful blues!! My favorite color...:)

    Thanks for sharing your "Friday Pretties"...I love all of them!

    XOXO Gloria

    ReplyDelete

I'm so delighted that you have visited my blog...
Thanks for your comments as I enjoy reading them.
Betty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...